Charity Report: Equality NowBy Administrator
Second-quarter beneficiary Equality Now gave us this report on how the funds they received from Foundation Beyond Belief will help them with their ongoing work. Foundation members donated $2,090 to Equality Now last quarter.
Equality Now is most grateful to participate in Foundation Beyond Belief. With your help, we continue in our mission to end violence and discrimination against women and girls. Dependent on the campaign, Equality Now uses the following strategies to accelerate change: international advocacy; awareness-raising; partnerships and coalition building; strengthening international and regional human rights law, standards, and mechanisms; conducting strategic litigation; and mobilizing financial and capacity building support for local groups.
Our four program areas are Discrimination in Law, Sexual Violence, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), and Trafficking. A sample of current campaigns from each program area includes work to:
- Establish a minimum age of marriage for girls in Yemen and Saudi Arabia.
- Support, both financially and programmatically, local partners committed to ending FGM in Africa and push for a law banning the practice in Mali.
- Stop the production and distribution of rape simulation games in Japan.
- Confront the prevalence and lack of means of address for girls who suffer incest in Pakistan.
- Work for the universal ratification, domestication and implementation of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa, an important tool in securing women’s rights in Africa.
- End male guardianship in Saudi Arabia.
- Address teacher-rape in Zambia.
- Push in the U.S. and abroad for just legislation on the commercial sexual exploitation of women and sex trafficking.
Thank you for your support and belief in our imperative work to promote and protect the fundamental human rights of women and girls!