Deep breath…By Administrator
We’re in the eye of the storm now, right between the Foundation’s full launch on the 1st and a large-scale media campaign in late January. I wanted to take a moment to update you all on where we are and where we’re headed:
- Our First 100! Thanks to our New Year’s Day blog bonanza and prominent mentions in Huffington Post, Daily Kos, and Pharyngula, we had a deluge of traffic in the first few days of the year and crossed over 100 contributing members in the first three days. Now the trick is to keep that ball rolling, week after week after week.
- Pardon our dust: Hiccups regarding site stability and security came to light during the New Year’s stampede and have been deftly tackled by our web developer, Airan. He is also in the midst of reworking our donation system to make it smoother and clearer and will be reporting on these improvements as they occur. Thanks for your patience.
- Mailbag: We’ve received a metric slew of questions and comments – about donation policy, how charities are selected, matching grants, Australian tax exemption, the worldviews of our board members, our word choices, and whether we’re aware that we’re wrong about God. (Just one of those.) Some we’ve answered individually. Others that seemed to be of more general interest end up in our ever-expanding FAQ.
- Get active! Giving is great — really great — but it’s only a start. Part of the uniqueness of this Foundation is that members are actively involved in the charity selection process. It’s through the discussion forums (now open) and the social network (coming soon) that members research, advocate, and debate beneficiaries to shape the Foundation’s next slate. Don’t be passive – choose a cause area and dig in!
- Breaking news: The Foundation has received a generous grant from a national (US) humanist organization. Watch for a full post on this important development.
- The application period has closed for Parent Community Coordinator and will close soon for Membership Development Coordinator. Both will be selected and on the job by February 1.
There’s much more, of course, and we’ll bring it all to you in time. For now, thanks again for your enthusiasm and support here in the early days. If we can keep that going, we can accomplish a tremendous amount of good in the coming months and years.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t WAIT to see this thing unfold. Thanks so much for being part of it.